What is Kanten?
The traditional, authentic method.
Kanten is made from a special seaweed that grows in clear warm sea. It is totally suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It provides the richest source of dietary fibre in the world.
How is it produced?
It is made using a traditional 350 year old method. It has very little actual flavour and is equally useful in both sweet and savoury recipes. It is completely free of additives, has only small nutritive value and contains no artificial colours.
What is is so good about it?
It is good for our health in several ways, particularly in decreasing blood glucose level, cholesterol, body fat percentage and blood pressure, where it reduces or even eliminates the need for fats when making meals tasty and enhancing sweetness because:
- Kanten absorbs and enhances flavours and adds smoothness or creaminess to the texture. This enables the cook to reduce the amount of sugar and/or salt and also the amount fat in a recipe thereby making a positive effect on cholesterol levels, diabetes, high blood pressure and excess fat levels in blood.
- Thread Kanten is an excellent substitute for noodles or gelatine noodles. It is much healthier and considerably reduces the calorie count.
- As it is so high in fibre Kanten staves off hunger pangs so is very beneficial for any diet .
How to cook it?
If you haven’t time to cook just put it into hot water, and if you want to have a joy of seeing new cooking, you’ll get many recipes from starter to dessert.
- Kanten can easily be added to your daily menus including beverages, it is a very adaptable ingredient.
- It is possible to make a larger portion of Kanten, for example tomato Kanten jelly, which can be kept in the ‘fridge and added to pasta, salad, soups and any main course.
- Kanten is a most useful thickening agent for soups and sauces. Unlike flour it is low in calories and high in fibre and dissolves easily without making lumps in soups and sauces.
Useful hints for cookery
- Kanten can be added to your daily menus including beverages very easily.It is a very adaptable ingredient.
- It is possible to make a larger portion of kanten, for example tomato kanten jelly, which can be kept in the ‘fridge and added to pasta, salad, soups and any main course.
- Kanten can be used very easily as a thickening agent for soups and sauces. It is, unlike flour, low in calories and high in fibre and dissolves easily without making lumps in soups and sauces.
Q– Eating a lot of Kanten is more effective for losing weight?
A– No, it isn’t a good idea to have too much. As with most things over consumption of Kanten and many other food is unhealthy.
Q– I haven’t got time to cook Kanten.
A– How about making Kanten jelly for five days and keeping it in the fridge. Or using Kanten noodles adding hot water (or soup)?
Q– Is it true that having Kanten improves skin condition?
A– Yes, it is said that dietary fibre makes smoother skin by stimulating colon movement and detoxifying.
Q– Is it possible to reheat again and again?
A– Yes, it is. You can re-cook again. For example, if you like it sweeter, boil it and add sugar or syrup. When you are away from your home, say for a business trip suddenly, keep it in a freezer as long as you need, then thaw it and boil with melt water, then enjoy it.
Q– Is it possible to use microwave?
A– Yes, it is, but I don’t recommend it because it is quite sensitive. I recommend you to use a pan on the heat.
Q– Is it possible to freeze Kanten’s curry sauce, hamburger and cream sauce?
A– Yes, it is but please use a pan to melt or thaw the curry and/or sauce. Once melted you can use microwaves. There’s no problem using microwaves to melt hamburger.
Are you interested in becoming a stockist? Or are you a caterer and need to order wholesale?Call or visit us